Why do you want to work here? It’s one of the most common interview questions and also one of the most nerve-wracking. Below we will break down why hiring managers ask this question and provide some sample answers to help you work at your dream company.
Why do they ask why do you want to work here?
The hiring manager is not trying to make you nervous during your job interview. The bottom line is they are looking for the right candidate for the position. Job seekers are asked this interview question to know if they are the best fit for the company or not. Here are a few of the touch-points the hiring manager is hoping to learn from your answer.
- Are you seriously interested in the position and working at the company?
- Do your career goals mesh with the open position?
- What is your knowledge about the industry, company, and position you are interviewing for?
- What aspects of the job and company are most appealing to you and why?
During your job search, make sure you practice answering why do you want to work here? As you prepare, check if your sample answers touch on the questions above. Here are some tips to best formulate your answer.
Research the company
Beyond focusing on your background, you also want to show the hiring manager you did your homework and know about the company and the position. During your job search, spend some time on the company’s website and social media platforms. Reading recent articles on the company can also provide helpful information. Find a way to incorporate one or two of the facts you found in your answer. The company’s mission statement or values are a great way to show the hiring manager you would make a great addition to the organization.
Ask yourself why are you applying for this position?
Hiring managers will be able to know if job seekers are being genuine. Before your job interview, make sure you mean it when you say that you would love to work at the company. Spend some time thinking about your career goals and if this opportunity would help you achieve them. As you research the company, does the role provide positive answers to these questions?
- Would you be excited to sell the product or service the company offers?
- Does the team provide you the resources needed to get the job done?
- Is the company innovative and heading in a direction you want to go?
- Could you see yourself working at the company long-term?
Practice your answer
Once you have done your research and feel your background is a good fit for the company, prepare your sample answers for why do you want to work for us?
Remember, you only get one chance to answer this interview question, so you really want to be prepared. Focus on your skills and areas you are an expert in. As you talk about yourself, find ways to incorporate the job description and how you would be a valuable employee. Here are a few things to think about when preparing your answer.
Depending on the industry and position you are interviewing for, tailor these answers to best match what the employer is looking for. You can bring some notes that list out talking points you don’t want to forget. Keeping a copy of your resume out while you talk can also help.
Here are some positive statements you can make during an interview.
- I read that your company does a lot of outreach with the local community. I would love to be involved.
- I like that your company has a great reputation when it comes to taking care of its employees.
- I feel that my background and skillset has given me the knowledge needed to exceed expectations in this position.
- I know I may need to learn new programs but I’m excited to take on a new challenge.
Final thoughts on answering why do you want to work here?
A little preparation can go a long way. Know what you want to say in advance and practice at least one or two times. Ask a friend or old employer if you can run your answer by them. It’s great to get feedback when prepping for an interview. Every response you give during a job interview might lead to your next career. Make each answer specific to the company you are interviewing with. There is a perfect company out there waiting to hire you!