When it comes to looking for a new job, there are a lot of websites that can help. However, there are so many job websites it can be confusing to know which ones are legit and which you should avoid. In this article we break down the different job sites and which ones can be the most helpful for your job search.
What are the best job search engines?
When searching for job listings, which job search sites should you use? There are a handful of great job search engines that job seekers should take advantage of. Let's break down a few of the top job search sites.
- Indeed -There are millions of jobs posted on Indeed from thousands of job boards and companies. Indeed offers easy and quick ways to apply to job postings. Like many sites, Indeed allows you to set up one or more job alerts.
- LinkedIn - Networking is a standout feature on LinkedIn. While it's also a great search site for jobs, they offer more ways to reach companies. Job listings are updated frequently and LinkedIn also offers a quick apply option. LinkedIn offers recruiters a platform to find potential candidates. Job seekers should definitely have a profile on LinkedIn.
- Glassdoor - People don't always think of Glassdoor as a job search engine. After starting as a website for employers to leave reviews, they moved onto job postings. One standout for Glassdoor is its salary research tool that can be helpful for potential employees to use.
- CareerBuilder - CareerBuilder is one of the original job search websites. They have been around for over 20 years. CareerBuilder has mastered customizable search features. If a candidate is looking for a niche job, CareerBuilder allows you to narrow down your job search.
- ZipRecruiter - ZipRecruiter's job search engine lets you search by location and keyword. Recently, they started letting you share your CV with recruiters too.
- SimplyHired - This job search site specializes in easy functionality and customization. People can save their job search and simply come back weekly and refresh their search. Their job board allows users to look for a niche job or company value. You can search for jobs at companies that promote diversity or companies that are eco-friendly if you prefer.
How to use job search engines
It can be overwhelming to sort through websites full of job listings. Multiple sites will post the same job, so should you even use more than one job board? Different job boards offer different functionality so job seekers will want to visit more than one job search site.
Before starting a job search, job candidates should have their resumes and cover letters ready to go. Job seekers should make a list of their priorities for their next job. Some questions to consider when thinking about the best job for you are:
- What are your salary requirements?
- What job title are you looking for?
- What company values are important to you?
- What benefits will you need (medical, dental, etc)?
- What type of role or position are you looking for?
- Are there skills you want to utilize at your next job?
Job boards and job search sites offer more features than just job listings. For example, LinkedIn is a social media job search website that lets you see more than just job listings. You can search for jobs and see if you have a mutual connection with a current employee. Glassdoor and other sites provide reviews and insights into what people love or hate about working at the company. You can find out how good the perks and benefits are, or if the management is difficult. Always read company reviews while visiting job hunting sites.
You can also find job openings on sites like Facebook or you can even use Google for jobs. However, with so many job sites out there you are better off using a site that specializes in helping candidates land their next career.
Once you have a few jobs and companies in mind, find out everything you can about the company. Recent articles and press releases are great resources.
What is the best job search site?
The simple answer is, there isn't one best job board. The type of job or industry you are looking for will determine which job sites would work best. As stated above, the job sites all offer different features for your job search. The very best job search site for one person may not help someone else find a niche job they want.
Spend time researching and visiting a few of the job search engines. Ready your resume and cover letter to upload. If you apply via an online job board or job site, try to follow up with the hiring manager or recruiter. Adding a personal touch to your application can make a difference in landing an interview. Keep in mind, job posting on job search engines can garner millions of job applications. This can make it difficult for yours to be seen. Try to find mutual connections at the companies you are applying to. Still send your information online but if you can have someone internally pass your name up, your chances will increase dramatically.
While job hunting, it may feel like there are a million positions and opportunities. Finding the right one for you can seem like an impossible task. Take advantage of staffing agencies and career websites. They often offer career counseling and career services for little to no cost.
Using a recruiter can help narrow down your options. These professionals can do some of the job hunt for you. They will compare your experience to open job postings and provide you with a shorter list of jobs.
Job seekers have so many tools at their fingertips. With a little patience, these job boards will direct you to a new job!